Sunday, November 30, 2008

My First Solo



Today, Sunday November 30th, 2008, for the first time I took complete control of an airplane and flew my first solo. Technically, it was no different than the hundreds of take-offs and landings I have done in the past with my instructor.

You pre-flight the airplane by checking control surfaces, hinges, oil, fuel, braking fluid, and so on. Once you are assured everything is in order, you settle in on the left seat, go through your checklist and start the engine. Perform a few more checks, listen to the ATIS and request your clearances.

I have been flying the airplane for a very long time, yet today was different. Today as I lined up with the center line for take-off, I was alone in the cockpit. I took a second to reflect on the significance of flying solo. Of what it meant that I have reached a point in my training where I am competent enough to fly and handle an airplane safely. Of what it meant to reach a goal I have had for as far back as I can remember. I thought about my first toy pedal airplane when I was two years old. Of how I used to daydream it was actually flying as I played with it. It is one of the memories from my early childhood that I still remember.

I let the realization of all of this sink in. Took a breath, slowly applied full throttle, I took in the full roar of the engine, the vibrations of the airplane, became one with the machine I was flying.

I slowly applyed right rudder as we, the airplane and I, sped down the runway, watching my airspeed come up, 30kts, and still aligned with the centerline, 40, 50, 55, slightly more right rudder and rotation, 60, the plane comes off the ground and airspeed is building, I raise the nose and settle on a climbout at 79 knots, airborne and clear of the Runway! (and trees).

At 800 ft, I start my left crosswind, and it was all smooth flying from there, LITERALLY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Andres!!

Do they still clip your shirt-tail? :-D

That feeling right about the moment that you lift off that from that point on you can't go back....either you live by your own skill at handling the aircraft and making the proper decisions....or you die; that once you're separated from the earth, you're on your own....those are feelings everyone should experience. They really clarify your thinking, don't they? :-D