Friday, November 7, 2008

Student Pilot

Why I fly

I am a student pilot working on my private pilot's license. Why do I fly?... I get this question from just about everyone I tell that I am a student pilot. The truth is, that I simply enjoy flying and the freedom that it brings. But, there are other reasons as well and I will discuss them here.

First, a little background on myself. I graduated college in 2006, with a B.S. in Computer Science. Most of my peers and friends are looking at going to graduate school, with hopes of getting better jobs and higher salaries. But I thought long and hard about taking that road, and realized that I am comfortable with the job I have now and that more money wouldn't necessarily make me any happier. Additionally I believe in having more than one set of skills, each skill as distinctly different from the next as possible. And so I reasoned that something that would make me happier, give me some freedom and be totally different, was flying. And not only that, if the Computer Science market went down hill, I could always turn to being a certified flight instructor or commercial pilot (which will take about 5 years of additional flying and training) as a backup.

Another reason that I fly, is that it helps me live a healthier lifestyle. I usually schedule flying lessons during the weekends and early in the morning. While most of my friends are out clubbing on Friday and Saturday night, I am at home or mountain biking in the woods near my house, usually going to bed by 2200 hours (10pm). The next day I am up early, with no hangover to worry about, and the entire day to fly, head to the beach, go see a movie, work out, do some house work, go bike riding and still have some hours in the evening to relax and go to bed early again for a similar routine on Sunday. Meanwhile, if I want to see any of my friends, they are not even out of bed or ready for the day until about noon time. And when all is said and done, if I was to compare how much I spend on flying lessons with how much any one of my friends spends on going out on the weekends, the difference is not that great.

Lastly, one of the more important reasons I enjoy flying, and I hinted at it in the opening paragraph, is the freedom which flying brings. Being up in the sky, looking at the scenery, flying at the time you wish to fly, when you wish to fly. Having multiple options as to what airports you can fly into. You have to experience it to truly understand it.

Do not mix the airline flying experience with the experience of being able to fly a plane yourself. We are regulated by the FAA, but their primary job is to keep the skies safe and open. Short of revoking your pilot's license, the FAA (which includes Air Traffic Controllers ATC) does not tell you when you can or can't fly. You as the Pilot in Command have the last word on whether or not you embark on a particular flight, which is different from when the airlines decide to cancel or delay a flight due to weather or some other abstract reason.

Flying is safe. It is safer than driving your car or motorcycle. To learn more about general aviation go to www.aopa.org.

No comments: