Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Back to the Skies


After almost a year of being grounded I was finally able to get back into the air on Sunday October 25th. My personal and financial life are now in order and I can once again pursue my flying goals, which of course is to get my private pilot's license and IFR rating.

I plan on having my check ride some time in early March (or sooner if possible). I currently have about 45.1 hours of flight time under my belt and all I have left is to continue practicing emergency procedures, cross country solos and some more night flying.

I believe flying is about learning and challenging yourself to always do better. You need to always keep an eye on the bigger picture and at the same time manage all of the little things that go into making a flight safe and successful each time. That way of thinking can also help in one's personal life. You know you want to get from point A to point B, then C, D and so on. And on that journey there are things that come up that must be dealt with and managed (turbulence, switching fuel tanks, even a quick landing for the bathroom), as long as you know that in the end, by handling all of these things in between, you will get you to your destination safely.

The same holds true for life, its a journey, you must know where you are and where you want to go, and getting there means dealing with all of the things that come up during that journey, not letting any one thing overwhelm you to a point that you loose sight of your larger goal and journey. Its OK to sometimes delay, choose an alternate plan or even take a detour, in flying we do it all the time to stay safe and alive, it should be no different in life.

No comments: